Author Topic: Oh God!... Did I Blow It Yesterday!!!  (Read 13848 times)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Oh God!... Did I Blow It Yesterday!!!
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »
My wife and I went south to Portland to visit her folks yesterday.
Her brother flew in from Illinois for a visit as well.

Her dad has not been doing well health-wise the last couple of months.
He's in his late 70s with a host of health problems. He has also had 4 double-bypass heart surgeries in the last 20 years.
The last surgery was about a year ago.

Her mom and dad have always loved to hold family BBQs in the summer and do a great job of them too.
But when my brother-in-law flies in, they pull out all the stops!
Everyone is supportive of my FTS efforts.
But with my father-in-law's failing health, I guess it took a lower priority.

Well... I fell off the FTS wagon BIG TIME!!!  :( :( :( :( :(
Tried as I could... with all my might... but the temptations there were FAR to great to ignore.
I even brought along some low carb alternative foods (for example, cauliflower mashed "potatoes") in preparation.
I did not crave any the high carb items there. But I could not ignore them either!
There were only two things served that were not a problem; steaks and cheese slices (without the crackers).

Besides wonderful 2" thick BBQed rib eye steaks, there was local grown fresh corn of the cob, Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve beer, Oreo Double Stuff cookies, and Bananas Foster for dessert.
Unfortunately, I have a weak spot for ALL of those things!
I was in no way prepared for this uber-elevated level of temptation.

I estimate that I ingested about 580g of net carbs yesterday! That's just under a month's worth!!!
I gained exactly 1 lb. since yesterday morning. I thought it was going to weigh a lot more.

Anyway, I'm back on the wagon this morning.
But I still feel bummed out that yesterday, I collapsed like a house of cards in a hurricane!
I thought I could "resist" without any issues.
Guess I need a a lot more time on FTS to acquire the strength needed to resist temptation this great.
I have recommitted to FTS again today completely!

Has this happened to anybody else out there?
I sure would like to feel that I'm not alone.

I'm trying not to feel guilty... But it's tough not to.
Guess I was too overconfident.

I've got some chores to tend to right now.
But I'll check back in here in a while.

What you do today is what matters!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Oh God!... Did I Blow It Yesterday!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »
Thanks owensmath!

As I said, I'm back on the "FTS wagon" today and even more committed and determined than ever to make this work.
I CANNOT allow ANY prospect of failure to enter into this endeavor!
I desperately NEED this to work!... For my health AND my life!!!

I was just wondering if anyone else out there ever had to face a setback like this.
If you've never had one, trust me on this, an early-on major setback like this can give you a lonely disappointed feeling.
But if no one wants to share, that's ok too. I will make do either way.

Phil

• Realize how rotten sugar is for your health.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:06:28 AM »
Its a minor bump your not alone. The best thing to do is put it behind you and keep moving forward. It is very minor. You are fighting with a bad habit that has got us to the place we are today fighting with sugar and you cant change a thing you did yesterday, but you can sure make tomarrow a great day mouseissue don't sweat the past details. Stressing out only makes it harder. Tomarrow make your favorite f2s meal and enjoy the day! You are back on track or you wouldn't be here now.
And if I claim to be a wise man. It surely means that I don't know... Kansas

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:44 PM »
Phil,

You're right... It was just a bump in the road to getting healthy.
I guess by surviving these "bumps" makes the rest of the journey to being fit a bit easier to travel.
In other words, what doesn't defeat us only makes us stronger.

I will not fear (or even think about) such a "bump" happening again.
Because I know that if it does, I simply forgive myself, allow myself to get past it, and continue on down the FTS road to health.

Thank you and owensmath again for your helpful feedback!

BTW, I lost 1/2 pound (of the pound I gained) since yesterday.

chattycathie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »
 ;) You are definitely not alone here.  I'm sure we all have had an occasion when doing FTS is just not feasible, desireable, do-able, etc.  Recently at my Granson's wedding, I ate.  It didn't set me back too far.  I just went right along with my FTS plans the next day.  This happens off and on for all of us.  Just don't beat yourself up about it.  You are doing great!  Look how far you've come.  You are an inspiration to us all.

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »
You are NOT alone Tony!!  My son and I share birthdays and always have a big together party...that party was yesterday and I let him choose the menu.  He chose "big fat burgers and homemade macaroni and cheese".  Well I did fine with the burgers but could not resist some Mac and cheese!  I could have made macafoni if I had more time but having 22 people was work enough!  I did find a nice warm bacon dressing to go with spinach salad and everyone enjoyed that.....but then there is CAKE!  I could have made Rena's omm cake but Costco has THE best chocolate (of course he had to pick chocolate!!) cake with a layer of mousse.....yum yum yum.  I am back on track this am....didn't even get on the scale.  I had a great shared time with my family and will be fine by midweek.  Life is too short for regrets.  You are strong person with great faith and today is a new day. ;D

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
Everyone here is right Tony!!  You need to quit beating yourself up over this..... just keep looking forward.   One day is nothing to a lifetime of eating that way  ;)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
Hi Tony!  I just saw this thread and just had to remind you that we are all here for you, and we are all on the same journey together.  You are always SO supportive of all of us, and you have the BEST words of wisdom when we need it most.  Just to see your honestly here....really moves you right on UP in my book!  We are all human, and we are going to hit bumps in the road.   I am so impressed that you got right back on track!  I know that I have a problem with food, and I probably would've gone back to my old way of thinking..."well the weekend's shot, so I'll just wait and start again on Monday".   You are going to be just FINE!  We love you TONY!!!!!  ;D     

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »
You are gonna be fine! No biggy!  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:28 PM »
Thank you all for the wonderful words! :) :) :)
But I posted this topic a year ago when I was only about 2 weeks into this lifestyle change.

Long since then, my resolve to live FTS has become solid as a rock!... I refuse to eat like I did before!

joagain

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:51:12 PM »
 I just noticed the date after I read your last post , LOL I was really confused I was going to ask you why you reposted it like it just happenend LOL   :o :o Thought I was going crazy

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Oh my goodness!!!  I didn't even look at the date!!  ::) LOL 

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 01:15:42 PM »
Oh my goodness!!  I didn't see the date either!!  ha ha ha  This happened to me one time before...I was wishing Owensmath a happy birthday, and it was no where NEAR her birthday.  Made me feel really bonde!! (even if it is fake blonde. lol)

Ok...so this actually proves a really cool point!  This thread makes me see that even if one of our seasoned FTS champions actually "DID" fall off the wagon, everyone would still be here... not judging them but supporting and loving them through it!  Wow!  You people are totally AWESOME!!!

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
You are so right Jan.....everyone here is so awesome!!  :D :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
Oh my goodness!!  I didn't see the date either!!  ha ha ha  This happened to me one time before...I was wishing Owensmath a happy birthday, and it was no where NEAR her birthday.  Made me feel really bonde!! (even if it is fake blonde. lol)

Ok...so this actually proves a really cool point!  This thread makes me see that even if one of our seasoned FTS champions actually "DID" fall off the wagon, everyone would still be here... not judging them but supporting and loving them through it!  Wow!  You people are totally AWESOME!!!

Don't worry y'all!... I've been guilty of responding to old posts too. ::)

And you are so right about the folks here, Jan.
We care for each other like we're beloved blood relatives.

I've looked at other low-carb support forums and have never found the quality of folks like we have here.
Like our lifestyle, we ARE totally AWESOME!!! :) :) :)